Friday, 10 April 2015

Yoga

I love yoga. Love it. There are a few issues though - 1. I am not flexible what-so-ever and 2. I am rubbish. I never knew where to start so I never really did but now as exams draw close and summer is just around the corner I thought that it was the perfect time to start.

How do you start?

Well there are a number of clubs near by me. There's several in my local sports center, one in the parish hall near me; however none of these felt like the right places for me (mainly because you had to pay!). 

There are thousands (maybe more) of websites dedicated to yoga - so many that when I was scrolling through them I began attempting things that were ridiculously difficult for someone with a skill level of 0. I even struggled on the 'beginners' ones because they often only had a photo and no description on how to get to the pose in the first place. Queue several minutes of me falling over and cursing. In the end I found a brilliant website (link) and decided to make my own routine that is completely do-able for all of us complete beginners. Not just then I put it into a routine so it sort of flows better than the order this site.

My routine 

Start with the Mountain Pose. If you are feeling keen you could do this on tiptoes instead of on flats. Breathe deeply in and out at least 10 times and then bring your hands back down to your side.

Next go into Tree Pose . This one I am rubbish at so I only can hold it for 8 deep breaths on each leg but feel free to extend this if you are good at finding your center of gravity.

Then pull your arms up into the Warrior Pose. Do it on one side and breathe deeply in and out for 20 breaths before going into The Triangle Pose. This switch is fairly simple. Just put your arm into the leading leg and go into the pose. Hold this for 20 deep breaths. Then get back into Warrior Pose but switch your leading legs - then repeat the above steps. 

Afterwards it is time for the Downward Dog. Everyone knows this one. It is classic yoga - and fun. Hold it for 10 deep breaths, in and out. 

Once you have done this go into the Cobra Pose. This is one of those ones that just feels nice - you know, as if you are doing your good things for your body. Hold this for 20 breaths in and out. 

Then follow the Cobra by going into Child's Pose. Hold for 20 breaths in and out.

Once you after done this go into the Pigeon Pose. This is kinda hard and I think it may take a while to be able to do it properly if you aren't that flexible. Hold this for 10 breaths in and out and then switch legs. 

Next go into the Seated Twist. If the other positions hadn't got all those cracks out of your back this one sure will. Do it for 10 deep breaths and then switch legs. 

Afterwards go into The Bridge which isn't as hard as it sounds - it's not quite the ones that we did in primary school! Hold this for 20 deep breaths in and out; however if it begins to hurt your back cut it short.

Go back into the Downward Dog and hold for 10 seconds. Finish by standing in Mountain Pose doing 20 deep breaths in and out. Now you have finished your little yogo-out. I hope you enjoyed it! (Also if you hadn't realised - I have linked all the poses, just click on the name of the one you want to see in more detail!)

No comments:

Post a Comment