Friday, 19 September 2014

Why every human should read 'The Humans'



I stumbled across the novel The Humans when I was doing my weekly trip to the library - I decided to read it as I had found no other books and I felt guilty about the prospect of leaving empty handed. So I grabbed it off the 'New Releases' shelf and took it home. I then proceeded to forget about it until I realised with a panic that I had to return it to the library in two days. Fast forward through a bit of serious and I had no real opinion on this book. I strong dislike books that are of the Supernatural gene - vampires and aliens included! Except this book is about the complete opposite.


This book is about all things human.

I would go on about this alien theme and all that; however I do not think that 

'alien' is the fitting term for the main protagonist. The word 'alien' suggests that there was a lot of probing, green faces and large eyes. And yes, there is a little bit of that but I think that that just shows the contrast between the main character and Professor Andrew Martin. I would prefer to use the term 'extraterrestrial' as it sounds far more exotic and much more fitting to such an interesting character. I would also love to go on about how complex all the characters are but I am afraid that I may give away the main story-line and accidentally unravel the intricate plot of this rather beautiful novel. You should do that yourself and enjoy it whilst doing so!


This book really is 'out of this world'. It explores what it means to be human in a world so confusing sometimes it feels like you are the 'extraterrestrial'. The book shows an alternative view of what it is like to know someone struggling with mental illness and how we can all help them - a surprise twist in something that I thought was going to be all about complicated maths questions. Not only did it have me question my own ability in maths it made me question what it means to be 'human'. 


Now they say never meet your favourite people but why would you listen to 
that? I loved this book and by the end I returned it to the library demanding that the librarian should read it as well. (I don't know if she did). Anyway, I was extract to learn that I would have the opportunity to meet the author 'Matt Haig' even if it was only for a minute - I just wanted to tell him how much I loved his novel! So I did and I was not disappointed for he was lovely and in the brief moment that I was able to converse with him it was clear that he was as nice as I thought he would be. 

This novel has stuck with me. I decided that I wanted to read it again but as I consider it to be a special novel I wanted it as a paperback instead of on my Kindle so I had to wait until my birthday. Upon recieving it I have been waiting for the weekend to come so I could start reading it again - the time has come. I am very much looking forward to explore this book again as it makes me question so many things about humanity and if you need to become less human to understand the world around us.

Links:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Humans-Matt-Haig/dp/0857868780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411154072&sr=8-1&keywords=the+humans

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130537-the-humans?from_search=true


https://twitter.com/matthaig1


http://www.matthaig.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment